PTR files

Norman Fournier norman at normanfournier.com
Mon Jun 17 22:00:31 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-17, at 3:29 PM, Charles Swiger wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2013, at 2:21 PM, Norman Fournier <norman at normanfournier.com> wrote:
>> I am working on bringing a virtual webserver behind a router online and am encountering problems.
>
> OK.  The odds are very good that you should ask about this on an Apache/nginx/etc forum, as it's unlikely to be related to DNS or BIND.
>
>> In my named.conf, this is my in-addr.arpa entry:
>>
>> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>> 	type master;
>> 	file "named.local";
>> 	allow-update { none; };
>> };
>>
>> Should I explicitly define the reverse lookup for my ip or does this entry accomplish the same thing, as it seem to have done so in the past.
>
> It provides a PTR record for 127.0.0.1; equivalent to the standard /etc/hosts entry of:
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost
>
> There's nothing you should change here.
>
> Regards,
> --
> -Chuck

Thank you for your response

(...Members of the httpd-users list says the same thing - its not an httpd problem. I am just trying to take possibilities off my list of potential errors, sorry if I am annoying you, it's unintentional and symptomatic of my ignorance, so I'm asking questions. I think that is a legitimate use of my subscription to this list, and the list's raison d'être. Surely the list is not exclusively for individuals who know what they're talking about?..)

This is the error message my browser returns:

> The server at dlinkrouter can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall...

Instead of "The server at mydomain.com can't be found", etc., - the error message states my router brand name. My router config seems fine. How would my router name get swapped for my domain name? And where might that error be located? In my httpd.conf? named.conf seemed a more likely place, although it looks okay to me.

What question might I ask the httpd list that might be enlightening?

Thanks again.

Norman