PTR files

Roel Wagenaar roel at wagenaar.nu
Tue Jun 18 06:02:22 UTC 2013

Norman Fournier <norman at normanfournier.com> wrote:

>     On 2013-06-17, at 3:29 PM, Charles Swiger wrote:
>
>     > On Jun 17, 2013, at 2:21 PM, Norman Fournier <norman at normanfournier.com>
wrote:
>     >> I am working on bringing a virtual webserver behind a router online and
am encountering problems.
>     >
>     > OK.  The odds are very good that you should ask about this on an
Apache/nginx/etc forum, as it's unlikely to be related to DNS or BIND.
>     >
>     >> In my named.conf, this is my in-addr.arpa entry:
>     >>
>     >> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>     >> 	type master;
>     >> 	file "named.local";
>     >> 	allow-update { none; };
>     >> };
>     >>
>     >> Should I explicitly define the reverse lookup for my ip or does this
entry accomplish the same thing, as it seem to have done so in the past.
>     >
>     > It provides a PTR record for 127.0.0.1; equivalent to the standard
/etc/hosts entry of:
>     >
>     > 127.0.0.1	localhost
>     >
>     > There's nothing you should change here.
>     >
>     > Regards,
>     > --
>     > -Chuck
>
>     Thank you for your response
>
>     (...Members of the httpd-users list says the same thing - its not an httpd
problem. I am just trying to take possibilities off my list of potential errors,
sorry if I am annoying you, it's unintentional and symptomatic of my ignorance,
so I'm asking questions. I think that is a legitimate use of my subscription to
this list, and the list's raison d'être. Surely the list is not exclusively for
individuals who know what they're talking about?..)

>     This is the error message my browser returns:
>
>     > The server at dlinkrouter can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed.
DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet
address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet
or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server
or a firewall...

>     Instead of "The server at mydomain.com can't be found", etc., - the error
message states my router brand name. My router config seems fine. How would my
router name get swapped for my domain name? And where might that error be
located? In my httpd.conf? named.conf seemed a more likely place, although it
looks okay to me.

>     What question might I ask the httpd list that might be enlightening?
>
>     Thanks again.
>
>     Norman

This sounds rather familiar to me, most likely your browswer ask for the outside
address of your web-page and your router is not allowing management from
outside, my router does not allow this and throws me this kind of errors too.

Does connecting to the local address work?

Indeed OT for this list.

--
Roel Wagenaar,

Linux-User #469851 with the Linux Counter; http://linuxcounter.net/

Antw.: Omdat het de volgorde verstoord waarin mensen tekst lezen.
Vraag: Waarom is top-posting een slechte gewoonte?
Antw.: Top-posting.
Vraag: Wat is het meest ergerlijke in e-mail?

We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.