Answers from cache or authority section?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Jun 25 16:54:29 UTC 2013

On 25.06.13 15:32, John Horne wrote:
>If, however, you run a general query for the NS records:
>
>    dig 163.141.in-addr.arpa ns
>
>then you will get an ANSWER section which lists several of our 'ils'
>servers:
>
>==============
>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>163.141.in-addr.arpa.   3600 IN   NS    ils022.uopnet.plymouth.ac.uk.
>163.141.in-addr.arpa.   3600 IN   NS    ils001.uopnet.plymouth.ac.uk.
>163.141.in-addr.arpa.   3600 IN   NS    ils009.uopnet.plymouth.ac.uk.
>
>(etc)
>==============
>
>The problem is that all these servers are internal to our site. They
>cannot be directly queried externally (you get a timeout).

then, you must configure proper NS records for the 163.141.in-addr.arpa zone

>So I think my question is what is the resolver doing? Does it use cached
>NS records seen in the AUTHORITY section

yes, that is the definition of AUTHORITATIVE data. if your servers are
authoritative for the zone, the given NS records prevail over delegation
from parent zone.

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson.  -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig