Reverse address entries

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Jun 28 18:42:55 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 17:54 +0000, Ward, Mike S wrote:
> Hello all, is there any reason to setup reverse address entries for a
> zone? I have asked some of the admins here and the consensus from them
> is that only A records are necessary. Is this true?

(IPv4 hat on)
I've taught my staff to plan using the reverse zone file. One can easily
see which addresses have been used and which are free (sort the zone
numerically!). Far more useful than putting names and addresses into a
spreadsheet... which I suspect.. never mind...

Having a correctly configured (ie complete) reverse is very useful. Mail
and other services use the information. If you just have an IP address,
a 'dig -x IP' will give a human understandable name. Can't think of any
sane reason not to properly configure the reverse zone..
--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE