Classless PTR query issue

Michael Varre mvarre at gmail.com
Wed May 8 13:42:33 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:06:53 PM UTC-4, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 05/07/2013 01:50 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>
> > On 07.05.13 11:06, Michael Varre wrote:
>
> >> So interestingly they did give me their setup and this is their
>
> >> response, and my warm and fuzzy feeling continues to go out the window:
>

> >> They use SimpleDNS
>
> >> Record Name: 65.246.59.108.in-addr.arpa
>
> >> DNS Server (FQDN): dns1.kishmish.com.
>
> >> TTL: 1 Hour
>

> >> I'd imagine this is wrong since 65 is my starting IP rather than my
>
> >> network IP, which is 64.
>

> > they use that sucking djbdns-like way of delegating zones.
>
> > Instead of creating one zone and pointing 16 CNAMEs into it, they want you
>
> > to create 16 zones.
>

> > Advise them to read RFC 2317 and do things right way.
>

> https://dougbarton.us/DNS/2317.html

I sent them the RFC yesterday and even sent them the KB article from SimpleDNS.com but I think they still have something done incorrectly.  It's amazing how large hosts take proper DNS administration for granted these days.

I don't have time to teach them how to do this anymore, so unfortunately I think I'm going to throw in the towel and just have them create the PTR records for me...right now I just need them to resolve!

Thanks everyone for your input. I will reference this thread for them in the next few weeks if I'm able to fine someone able to make the proper changes.