architecture question

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Wed May 8 22:29:35 UTC 2013

Though there are plenty of students who are capable of getting their own domains, and some temporary web presence.....which popup for SGA elections....and probably are only needed for a couple of weeks.

Plus after the class, what would stop them from using the domain for something else....

OTOH, back in the day.... we went out and acquired IP space for something.....now that IP space is getting tight, I've wanted to find out how to return the class C block I had acquired.  But, most of the contact information on the IP block is invalid (all except for one technical contact....me), and the named organizational entity no longer exists.  So, I haven't been able to prove to ARIN that I am the same person that had acquired the IP space so I can't do anything like return the IP space.

IIRC, it was basically for the same reason the network IP space at LISA is a real IP.

Wonder how hard it would be do that with my home network (years ago at a previous employer....people could never get VPN to work if they had a home router....later they figured it out and said if you have a home router you need to use 192.168.255.0/24 as your home network....I didn't bother with that, since I lived across the street....  not sure what ranges are safe to use if I were to VPN to current job, since days of ssh tunnel into work are numbered.)