Negative zones; NXDOMAIN responses

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon May 20 07:00:05 UTC 2013

>> On 19 May 2013 20:51, Narcis Garcia <informatica at actiu.net> wrote:
>>> The internet ISP returns positive values for .local
>>> queries, and I need that LAN clients receive NXDOMAIN instead.

do they return positive answers for any non-existing domains?
(is this one of ISPs wanting to make money on mistypes and ling to the
people?)

On 19.05.13 21:26, Steven Carr wrote:
>But in response to the actual question... what you want to do is not
>possible in BIND zone configs as you can't create a negative zone
>(that I'm aware of).

He can create empty .local zone that will return NXDOMAIN for everything.

>On 19 May 2013 21:22, Steven Carr <sjcarr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why are you forwarding queries to the ISP? Implement your own caching
>> layer, I for one would never use/trust an ISPs caching servers. If I
>> want to resolve a domain I go direct to the source, not via a 3rd
>> party.

This is the real solution. You should not use services broken like this of
any ISP. I'd even recommend not to use ANY services of such ISPs.

"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]