Negative zones; NXDOMAIN responses

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 21 07:54:15 UTC 2013

On 05/21/2013 08:39 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:

> ICANN run a specifc AXFR service for various infrastructure zones:
>
> http://dns.icann.org/services/axfr/
>
> ...which IIRC some configs for root-slaving (FreeBSD?) use by default.

I should probably add that, AFAICT, opinion about the value of slaving
"." can be politely described as "mixed". There are a number of
interesting and (to varying degrees) tetchy threads on various mailing
lists/blogs about this, which a few minutes googling will get you to.

Personally, we don't do it. But I can see merit in both sides of the
argument. Suggest anyone wanting to resurrect that particular zombie
head over to one of the various forums more suited for this kind of
dicussion ;o)