Authoritative internal server - how do I get rid of...

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Tue May 21 08:57:32 UTC 2013

... these annoying root lookups:
error (host unreachable) resolving './DNSKEY/IN': 192.112.36.4#53
error (host unreachable) resolving './NS/IN': 192.36.148.17#53

Hi guys,

I guess a few of you have seen and mitigated this before. We're running
a few BIND server strictly internally - for master zone loading, actually.

Those servers have no external connectivity. Since they seem to routinely
look up stuff concerning ".", I get a lot of the above error messages due
to - certainly - unreachability of anything outside local.

Is there any way I can get those BIND9 servers to *not* look up root stuff?

Recursion is off, and the root hints file has been removed from the local
zone config. No effect.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
	Elmar.