Help on NXDOMAIN to try next forwarder in the list

sumsum 2000 sum2hike at gmail.com
Thu May 30 07:26:49 UTC 2013

Hi,
I have the following change to be available from BIND9.

I have zone forwarders as follows with BIND9 setup with forward only option
on a Non Authoritative DNS server

zone  "mytestdomain101.com" IN  {
        type forward;
        forwarders {8.8.8.8;4.2.2.1;8.8.4.4};
        forward only;
};

If I am doing a dig on mytestdomain101.com, the first DNS server gives
NXDOMAIN. In this example, say it tries 8.8.8.8 and returns. I would want
the other servers 4.2.2.1 and 8.8.4.4 to be tried and then finally return
NXDOMAIN to have the same functionality as that of the SERVFAIL.

This is not currently possible and I have tried it on BIND9.8.2  version.
Could you please suggest if there is a way to do it.

Thanks
Sum2hike