[External] Re: intermittent resolution

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Nov 2 23:43:04 UTC 2013

In message <4BC4603E-5123-4479-A399-5CAC997EDA81 at uci.edu>, Con Wieland writes:
> I added edns-udp-size 512; which solved the issue but after more reading it s
> eems like a better option would be to disable EDNS for the specific hosts sin
> ce we have had no luck working with them. Looking at the ARM I thought I coul
> d add a server statement for each of the sites name servers but I apparently
> have a syntax error. It also seems that the edns-udp-size option can be put i
> n on a per server basis but
>
> server 140.90.33.237/0 { edns no };

If you want to disable edns for a specific host then you would use

	 server 140.90.33.237 { edns no };

That said 140.90.33.237 understands EDNS.  The ONLY machines that
you should want to set "edns no" to are those that FAIL TO RESPOND
to EDNS queries.  140.90.33.237 responds to EDNS queries.   You
just don't let those responses through.

Your problem is that *you*, as in *your* institution, have installed
equipment that is configured to deliberately break IPv4 connectivity.
That has consequences.

There is a myth that you need to stop IP fragments, that IPv4
fragments are harmful.  This is much like the myth that you need
to block icmp packets as they are harmful.  Neither is the case.

Back before the turn of the century there were some machines with
broken IP stacks that needed to be shielded from these packets UNTIL
THE IP STACKS WERE FIXED.  What were supposed to be TEMPORARY
measures have morfed into PERMANENT measures that need to be applied
regardless of the consequences.

Additionally there are firewalls that think all DNS UDP packets are
smaller than 512 bytes.  This hasn't been the case for 15 years
now.  There was never a need to check this in firewalls.  Nameservers
were quite capable of checking DNS responses themselves.

Mark