Can I have Inbound load balancing achieved with below settings

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 08:39:25 UTC 2013

On 13/11/13 22:21, Carl Byington wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 16:49 -0500, Barry Margolin wrote:
>> It means that users will have to wait for an arbitrary
>> number of timeouts before the browser can give them an error message.
>
> Well, the browser *could* of course give a message like "I have tried $N
> out of $M possible ip addresses with no success - do you want to abandon
> this?" at any time while trying that collection of ip addresses.
>
> The other approach is to try them all in parallel, sort of like ipv4 and
> ipv6 parallel connection attempts in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6555

Parallel is bad - they *should* be stagged by $RTT*$FACTOR, otherwise
you just flood the link with SYN & SYN/ACK packets, all but one of which
are wasted, and may have consumed bandwidth, buffer space, NAT and
firewall session resources, to name but a few.

I think there are better solutions than publishing an enormous list of
A/AAAA records, personally, and I think it's good that browser
manufacturers aren't blasting out 6 SYNs every time someone types
www.google.com...