Allow recursion for esternal resources in a authoritative zone on a "not open" dns server

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Nov 18 19:38:02 UTC 2013

On 18.11.13 13:57, Chiesa Stefano wrote:
>I have a "closed" bind dns server. It answers only to queries related to
>zones it is authoritative for (a normal behaviour... right?).
>I have dns zones that contain cname that points to hostnames in domains
>not managed by that server.
>So it won't resolve that names returning the cname to the client.
>
>I'd like to know if there is a way to tell to BIND "if the external
>resource is in a domain managed by you, resolve (do recourse)"

There is not. Either bind does recurse, or it does not. If a DNS server is
authoritative-only, it is only contacted by other (recursive) DNS servers
that would (or, at least should) not trust what it says in ADDITIONAL
section of its responses (where the CNAME content in non-authoritative cases
belongs to).
Christian Science Programming: "Let God Debug It!".