Allow recursion for esternal resources in a authoritative zone on a "not open" dns server

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 19 02:12:20 UTC 2013

In article <mailman.1696.1384823151.20661.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <barmar-90DDC3.19453818112013 at news.eternal-september.org>, Barry
> Margolin writes:
> > In article <mailman.1694.1384820048.20661.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
> >  Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> >
> > > In message
> > > <E81ED6071F7E3E44A69BC960C04469250C1A2001 at S-MI-MAIL2.milano.wkitaly.it>,

> > > No.
> >
> > If the server is authoritative for both the CNAME and the target of the
> > CNAME, no recursion should be necessary -- the target is already in its
> > memory. Doesn't the server normally fill in the whole CNAME chain in
> > this case?
>
> The targets of the CNAME records are not on the machine as per the
> original description of the problem.
>
> "I have dns zones that contain cname that points to hostnames in
> domains not managed by that server."

I saw that, but the question says "If the external resource is in a
domain managed by you". The external resource is the target of the
CNAME, and "managed by you" means the server is authoritative for it.

I admit I found the question confusing, since it seems to start with one
premise, but then ask a question about a different one.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA