Forward zone giving SERVFAIL

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Thu Nov 28 08:21:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-27 19:27, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas?

This is a shot in the dark, but is your server carrying a root zone or
using hints? I vaguely recall running into similar a few weeks back when
rolling out a new mail server, it turned out that the server was
configured as a root server (with a copy of the root zone) and this
broke forwards to a local rdnsbld on :54.

Since no one could remember why our mail servers had root zones and it
didn't seem to make any practical difference, we switched over to using
hints and suddenly forwards started working too.

Or so my memory recalls, there were so many minor disasters during
testing on that roll-out that I might have some details off in my brain,
but if this doesn't help, I'll ask around and see.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/