Dig gives ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Oct 3 18:23:33 UTC 2013

On Oct 3, 2013, at 12:47 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Balanagaraju Munukutla <9balan at sg.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Any one could help on the error below.
>

> [andrew at oc8163211842 ~] $ dig @xxxx.com abcd.com.sg mx
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 <<>> @xxxxx.com abcd.com.sg mx
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
>
> [andrew at oc8163211842 ~]$ dig @xxxx.com abcd.com.sg mx
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 <<>> @xxxxx.com abcd.com.sg mx
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ---------------------------
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Nagaraj
>
> This message is virtually content free. You basically said "Something in DNS failed at a very basic level, but I will remove any information that might provide even a slight clue to determine why." You hide the query and the server. All that can really be said is that your client failed to get a response from the specified server.

Unless, maybe, he did and doesn't know how to use dig?

wkumari$ dig +norec +nocomment +nostats MX abcd.com.sg @xxxx.com
; <<>> DiG 9.8.5-P1 <<>> +norec +nocomment +nostats MX abcd.com.sg @xxxx.com
;; global options: +cmd

OK, fair enough, xxxx.com is not a name server, but:

wkumari$ dig +norec +nocomment +nostats NS xxxx.com
; <<>> DiG 9.8.5-P1 <<>> +norec +nocomment +nostats NS xxxx.com
;; global options: +cmd
;xxxx.com.			IN	NS
xxxx.com.		3348	IN	NS	dns4.name-services.com.
xxxx.com.		3348	IN	NS	dns2.name-services.com.
xxxx.com.		3348	IN	NS	dns1.name-services.com.
xxxx.com.		3348	IN	NS	dns3.name-services.com.
xxxx.com.		3348	IN	NS	dns5.name-services.com.

; <<>> DiG 9.8.5-P1 <<>> +norec +nocomment +nostats MX abcd.com.sg @dns1.name-services.com.
;; global options: +cmd
;abcd.com.sg.			IN	MX
abcd.com.sg.		3600	IN	MX	10 p.nsm.ctmail.com.

<runs away, giggling like a maniac…>