NS record TTL versus nameserver's A record TTL

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Oct 8 18:37:41 UTC 2013

On 08.10.13 11:49, John Wobus wrote:
>We received a report that a domain we serve
>was not resolving at a remote site.  The site
>also reported their own analysis that the issue
>appeared to be that the domain's NS record had
>a longer TTL than its target nameserver's
>A record and their caching server didn't
>seem able to handle this.  FYI, the nameserver
>was not within the domain with the issue.

it's hard to say from this information. Maybe if you provided concrete
domain name(s) we could tell more.

>They took responsibility for their
>nameserver's deficiency, but it
>makes me wonder:
>-Is this addressed by a standard?  E.g.,
> the nameserver's A record have the same
> TTL as NS records pointing at it.

It should be the same, when the server is in the domain.  I met exactly
those issues when NS record had longer ttl then the A record in the same
domain.

Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...