Install DNS Server

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Thu Oct 10 20:02:43 UTC 2013

While I mostly agree, simply doing a 'yum update' against the CentOS repos
will pull you up to 5.9...which isn't really old, it was released around
the same time as 6.4.  Then at least your base OS is up to date, and you
don't have to use the community RPMs.  You can build from source, generate
your own packages, or use community SRPMs that are available.

Newer is generally better, but depending upon what you're doing moving
from 5.x to 6.x (or changing major versions in general) is often not as
easy as it sounds.  I personally still have to maintain 5.x and 6.x to
keep our developers happy.  That said, running 5.x is still not an excuse
to be out of date.  Based on the question, this might just be lack of
experience...but moving to the latest minor release is very simple.

http://www.tecmint.com/how-to-upgrade-from-centos-5-x-to-centos-5-9/

http://www.howtoforge.com/bind-installation-on-centos

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/server/bind.html

http://www.five-ten-sg.com/mapper/bind