TXT Record Format with multiple records?

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 13 15:35:02 UTC 2013

On Oct 12 2013, John Levine wrote:

>>Please forgive my ignorance, and sorry about all the details. I have
>>not been able to find a detailed specification.
>
>TXT records haven't changed since RFC 1034 and 1035.
>
>You can have multiple strings per record, and multiple records per
>name.  At the application level, some applications glom multiple
>strings per record together, some treat them separately.  There are a
>few obscure designs that combine multiple TXT records at the same
>name, but you're unlikely to run into any of them.

If you do use multiple TXT records, rather than multiple strings within
a single record, bear in mind that the order that the user/application
will see them is TAIAP unpredictable. You don't want to end up with

message.example.  TXT  "is displayed in the right"
message.example.  TXT  "only makes sense when it"
message.example.  TXT  "order!"
message.example.  TXT  "A paragraph of text that"

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk