Performance Tuning RHEL 5 and Bind

Stuart Browne stuart.browne at ausregistry.com.au
Sun Oct 20 22:27:01 UTC 2013

If my experience with high-throughput through a redhat system is anything to go by, what you are probably hitting is the IPTables conntrack bucket limits.

The simplest way to avoid this is to bypass connection tracking.

You can do one of the following:

- Turn off iptables (probably not a good idea)
- Turn off conn-tracking and not use the state module, rewriting all rules (nasty)
- Tell iptables to not conntrack for just udp/53 & tcp/53 (-A -t raw -j NOTRACK -m tcp -p tcp --dport 53 ; -A -t raw -j NOTRACK -m udp -p udp --dport 53)

We use the 3rd method and it works beautifully.  Just ensure you're 'filter' rules don't force the use of conntrack for that traffic.  See the man page for more details.

Stuart