Registrars supporting DNSSEC + DS Records

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 17:03:04 UTC 2013

I've only recently joined this bind-users@ list, so please feel free to
smack me if this is considered off-topic and an unwanted discussion.

I've recently done research into DNSSEC to understand its intricacies and
possibly implement it onto my (low traffic) authoritative BIND servers for
a number of domains I run.

But I'm annoyed.

It seems like comparatively few registrars actually support DNSSEC and/or
DS records. Mine certainly does not.

I know registrars such as GoDaddy and Gandi do support it, but I'm not a
huge fan of GoDaddy (and try to avoid them whenever possible), and up until
a few days ago when I was starting this research to finally learn DNSSEC, I
had never heard of Gandi.

Does anyone have any insight into why so few registrars actually support
DNSSEC? It seems to me that if the demand were there, then more registrars
would support it as they would have an incentive. For now, my guess is
there isn't much incentive (or they would already have done it).

So, as a second question, why isn't there a demand? How can systems
administrators raise awareness of DNSSEC and help create a demand?

--
David White
Founder & CEO