Problem with "authoritative answer"

Brian Cuttler brian at wadsworth.org
Wed Sep 11 15:11:18 UTC 2013

Cross posting to both Amanda users and bind users lists.

We have remapped some of our DNS clients to point to another
DNS resolver, one that we do not control, but that has "forwarder"
records in place to point our domain's address resolution requests
back to an authoritative server in our domain.

Dig is showing authoritative answer when I query my domain's server
for an address that I own.

Dig is NOT showing authoritative when I query the other domain's server.

I'd have thought that the forwarded request, coming from my server,
would have resulted in an authoritative reply.

What does this have to do with Amanda?

We have a zmanda client in our citrix cloud that has been changed
from our domain controller to the DC of the other dept, which has
its own DNS servers.

While we can get a DNS result on the client, zmanda is failing to
authenticate the server. I suspect but do not know for sure that
this is because the DNS result (as determined by # dig) is not
authoritative.

Am I right in my guess as to the zmanda client issue?
 - if so
    Is there a zmanda work-around or fix? Other than adding the IP
    information to tables in the client or registering the amanda
    server by IP?

Is there a DNS fix? Do I need to update by DNZ zone file to make the
other domains DNS, which only has forwarder records for us, authoritative
by adding an NS record for it?

Am I just barking up the wrong tree?

						thanks in advance,

						Brian