What is proper fault-tolerant behavior?

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 04:13:45 UTC 2013

On 17 September 2013 02:54, Dan McDaniel <dan at dm3.us> wrote:
> My question is shouldn't our nameservers try another fedora NS in order
> to resolve the name? If not what good is it for fedora to have multiple
> nameservers? Or am I misunderstanding how this should work?

So this would really depend on the response that was returned from the
fedora nameserver.

If your nameserver didn't receive a response or got a SERVFAIL then it
should move on to the next fedora nameserver in the list and query
that. However if it received an authoritative response, even if the
response contained no records, then it wouldn't move on to the next
server (as the response was authoritative).

Without full dig command output taken at the time or packet captures
it's difficult to diagnose the issue after it's happened.

Steve