New Versions of BIND are available (9.9.4, 9.8.6, and 9.6-ESV-R10)

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Sep 20 02:48:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-20 at 01:59 +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> > From: Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net>
>
> > now, I never ran it as patches, my policy is only use official upstream
> > sources, so my first play around was with 9.9.3.b2 I think it was.
>
> BIND 9.9.4 and its immediately preceding "beta" and "release
> candidate" releases are the first versions of BIND that were not
> "patched."  Some third parties including FreeBSD and a Linux
> distributor added RRL patches to their versions, but those BIND+RRL
> versions differed from any other version of BIND+RRL patch only by
> someone else having applied the patch.

yeah, as I said, I thought it was that beta, I dont use distros versions
of key daemons, most are too outdated for my liking, even  Slackware and
Gentoo, whoich are more current than most.

> > plenty of delayed mail -  hostname lookup failures (mostly because of
> > URI/DNS BL's), so it certainly works as intended :)
>
> That sounds unrelated to RRL.  Again, RRL affects standards compliant
> DNS clients no more than a 50% packet loss rate on the path from the
> DNS client and to the server.  If your mail system suffered hostname
> lookup failures, then I think something else was broken.

Nope, either way, daemon.log was filling up with messages indicating
RRL, last time I tried, Aug 29,

lots of
limit NXDOMAIN responses to xxxxxxxx/24 for zen.spamhaus.org ,
limit NXDOMAIN responses to xxxxxx/24 for xxx.net

pretty much one for every DNSBL, URIBL etc used....

The problem occurred within a minute of enabling RRL, and ended right
after disabling RRL.
on that date, log files show the version was actually BIND 9.9.4rc1

Now I've read your link, I can perhaps understand more the options and
fine tune it, but bout to head out for lunch so, might pla around later
this afternoon.