bind/sendmail resolving.. (NXDOMAIN)

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Fri Sep 20 22:51:19 UTC 2013

  This is probably easier than I am making it, but my googlefu seems to be
failing me at the moment when I look around.   I  handle a batch of FreeBSD
servers running sendmail, and I am having a site that is trying to deliver
mail being rejected, but they swear their DNS is right, so I am not sure if
we have an issue, or they do.

 I am seeing sendmail rejects like this:

Sep 20 14:45:59 mail3 mail3-smtp[15388]: r8JE8kQg099367:
to=<jmeteyard at panini.co.uk>, delay=1+04:37:10, xdelay=00:00:31,
mailer=esmtp, pri=5259883, relay=smtp2.panini.co.uk., dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: Name server: smtp2.panini.co.uk.: host name lookup failure

 If I take and run a host lookup, I get a response like this:

$ host panini.co.uk
panini.co.uk mail is handled by 10 smtp.panini.co.uk.
panini.co.uk mail is handled by 20 smtp2.panini.co.uk.

Now if I try that on any of the hosts that should accept the mail, I see:

$ host smtp.panini.co.uk
smtp.panini.co.uk is an alias for smtp.panini.it.
smtp.panini.it has address 151.12.160.24
Host smtp.panini.it not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

$ host smtp2.panini.co.uk
smtp2.panini.co.uk is an alias for smtp2.panini.it.
smtp2.panini.it has address 151.12.160.30
Host smtp2.panini.it not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

 So I get the IP address returned, but then an NXDOMAIN that follows.   I do
have the BrokenAAAA config option in my sendmail, so know it's not that, or
I don't think so.    Yet if I do a dig on the hosts, they seem to come back
with an IP address as expected, and shown above.

 So if anyone can offer a clue on this, it would be appreciated..

---
Howard Leadmon