nsec3 opt-out confusion (bug report)

Tue Apr 1 14:43:36 UTC 2014

It seems Bind is a bit broken. I just removed NSEC3 and added NSEC3
again with "1 0 10 BEEF", and suddenly all NSEC3 records had the opt-out
flag clear.

Then I changed NSEC3 params to "1 1 10 BEEF". Then almost all NSEC3
records had the opt-out flag set, but two NSEC3 records still had the
flag clear. These two NSEC3 records correspond with empty non-terminal
records for an insecure delegation (I guess they are not needed at all
as the delegation is insecure and were forgotten to be deleted)

Then I removed NSEC3 and added NSEC3 params "1 1 10 BEEF". This time all
the NSEC3 records had the opt-out flag set, but the NSEC3PARAM record shows:
   NSEC3PARAM 1 0 10 BEEF

Thus, it seems that I had opt-out activated, but the broken NSEC3PARAM
header made me believe that opt-out was not enabled.

Nevertheless, it seems there are still two bugs:
1. The NSEC3 chain is not properly cleared when switching from
non-opt-out to opt-out
2. The NSEC3PARAM record always has the opt-out flag clear, even if
opt-out is activated.

Finally a question: The NSEC3 RFC allows a mixed opt-out mode within a
zone. Is this used by Bind or does Bind always either use opt-out or
non-opt-out?

Thanks
Klaus