Example of classless reverse-lookup zone

Dimitar Georgievski mitkany at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:46:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am trying to configure a subnet (example:
10.1.16.32/27<http://10.1.26.96/27>)
zone files for internal domains, and have hard times with setting up the
reverse lookup zone file.  The couple examples I found on the internet
didn't help much.
This example taken from the Pro Bind and DNS book was the closest to what I
wanted to achieve but unfortunately it didn't work for me due to an error:
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch9/reverse.html

For instance adding a zone definition  in /etc/named.conf like this forced
the DNS server to complain about bad name of the zone:

zone "27/32.16.1.10.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "16.1.10.in-addr.arpa.db";
        };

named-checkconf -z /etc/named.conf  produces the following errors

zone 27/32.16.1.10.in-addr.arpa/IN: loading from master file
> 16.1.10.in-addr.arpa.db failed: bad name (check-names)
> zone 27/32.16.1.10.in-addr.arpa/IN: not loaded due to errors.
> _default/27/32.16.1.10.in-addr.arpa/IN: bad name (check-names)

16.1.10.in-addr.arpa.db content

> $ORIGIN  27/32.16.1.10.in-addr.arpa.
> $TTL 300
> @       IN      SOA     ns1.example.com. it at example.com (
>         2014033102      ; serial
>         300             ; time to refresh
>         3600            ; time to retry
>         604800          ; time to expire
>         300)             ; time to live
>         IN      NS      ns1.example.com
>         IN      NS      ns1.example.com.
> $GENERATE 34-61     $   IN PTR ${0,3,d}.perf01.example.com

I tried adding  check-names ignore; to the zone definition in named.conf,
which removed the bad-name errors but it didn't resolve the reverse lookup
problem for this subnet.

Thanks

Dimitar