Private & separate DNS domains

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 13:30:14 UTC 2014

In article <mailman.2610.1396955773.20661.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at tux.org> wrote:

> On 2014-04-08 06:08, Bryan Harris wrote:
> > The current mechanism is to put the Windows AD server into the
> > resolv.conf BEFORE the BIND servers, since, as has been explained to
> > me a Linux server will perform a query against all three
> > simultaneously (that doesn’t immediately ring true to me, it’s just
> > what I was told).  ...
>

> You were told wrong about "simultaneously" from /etc/resolv.conf.  It
> uses the first one that gives an answer.  If the first one times out, it
> asks the next and ignores any response from the first, etc.  (If you
> think about it, what happens if two "simultaneously" respond with
> different answers?  If one never responds?) ...

Novell's LAN Workplace for DOS used to do simultaneous queries to
however many (max 3 IIRC) servers you put in its RESOLV.CFG.  I've never
seen it happen on a *ix/*ux box.  I can't remember if the slower servers
received port unreachables when their answers trailed in behind the
leader.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.