What if no root servers?

Dean Gibson (DNS Administrator) isc at ultimeth.com
Wed Apr 9 04:02:59 UTC 2014

I'm interested in a special use-case, where (say, in an emergency),
access to most of the Internet (and hence the root servers) is cut off.
In this situation, there is an emergency connected network consisting of
several domains, each with known nameserver IP addresses.   The hosts in
domain aaa.com know (typically, via DHCP) about the nameservers for
their domain, but nothing about domain bbb.com.

At first I thought that one should place "glue" NS records for domain
bbb.com in the zone for aaa.com, so that hosts in aaa.com that use the
aaa.com nameservers, will be able to refer to the hostnames in domain
bbb.com.

I understand that one can do this for subdomains.  However, a bit of
research seems to suggest that a stub zone is the proper way to do
this.  Is this what a "stub" zone is for?

-- Dean