Master to Slave initial zone transfer question

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:13:57 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Jeronimo L. Cabral <jelocabral at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear, I've implemented two Debian 7 servers with Bind9 as a Master - Slave
> schema.
>
> Everything works OK, but I have just a question:
>
> When a create a new zone in the Master and reload the bind9 daemon, this
> zone doesn't appear automatically in the Slave....it only appears if I
> restart the bind9 daemon in the Slave server.
>
> Is this behaviour correct or is there any statement to transfer a new zone
> from Master to Slave withouth restarting the bind9 daemon in the Slave ???
>
> Really thanks,
>
> JeLo

Did you add the new zone to the slave's configuration (usually named.conf)?
I assume so, or it would never load. But named.conf is only read when named
is started or  a 'reload' command is sent to it (rndc reload). Until then,
hte slave has no way of knowing that the zone was added.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com