a note on 9.10.0rc2: eleven, twelve; dig and delv(e)

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Apr 25 22:44:56 UTC 2014

On 04/25/2014 02:25 PM, Evan Hunt wrote:

> So, after consultation with the bottoms of one or two bottles, and
> consideration of several alternative names (including "dredge", "bore",
> "shovel" and -- taking it in a slightly different direction --
> "groove") we decided to simply send the second 'e' in "delve" off to
> wherever the one from creat() went.  The tool will now be called
> "delv".  (I plan to continue pronouncing it the same way.)

First, thanks for being considerate to the Xapian folks. However IMO
that's not a good solution. To start with, the "delve" name was a bit
silly, and didn't really trip off the tongue. Your proposed solution is
suboptimal from both a product differentiation and a tab completion
perspective.

If you(collectively) really cannot come up with a better name, why not
crowd-source it on the ISC home page? I'm not terribly good at clever
names for things like this, but I would vote for 'dq' (as in, DNS query)
which has the virtue of not matching anything in the Ubuntu "did you
mean?" database.

hth,

Doug