How to setup a backup NameServer?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Apr 28 16:08:29 UTC 2014

I'm not sure this makes sense from an architectural standpoint. If all
of the authoritative NSes are down, where is this "backup nameserver"
getting its data from, and how current is that data?

If slightly *stale* data is acceptable, in the absence of all
authoritative NSes, then why not just set up your "regular"
nameserver(s) as stealth slaves of the zone(s)? Why dedicate a special
"backup nameserver" for this function? What value does that add?

                             - Kevin