Enterprise IPAM/DNS Solutions

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Tue Apr 29 01:18:59 UTC 2014

On Apr 28, 2014, at 9:31 AM, Baird, Josh <jbaird at follett.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We currently use the Men & Mice DNS/IPAM/DHCP suite which is essentially a front-end "wrapper" for BIND.  We deploy our own BIND boxes and simply install the Men & Mice agent on them which allows us to centrally manage the zones from a GUI (or CLI) based interface.
>
> I'm curious about the other "enterprise" solutions that are on the market.  Bluecat is the first one that comes to mind, but I'm completely unfamiliar with their product.  Does their product run alongside native BIND (like M&M) or do I need to purchase their own appliances and place them all over my network?

Josh,

You probably remember me from my days at Men & Mice. I've been at BlueCat Networks now for more than four years. If you have any questions about BlueCat's product line, I'd be happy to help. If you prefer, you can contact me directly at my company email address, cbuxton at bluecatnetworks.com.

To answer one question you posed here, we offer an appliance-based solution. They are hardened Linux systems that offer DNSSEC and anycast support out of the box, just as others have hinted in this thread. And unlike some of our competitors, we do allow ssh access if you need it.

Best regards,
Chris