Promoting a slave to master gives syntax error

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Apr 29 12:31:35 UTC 2014

Theodotos Andreou <theo at theo-andreou.org> wrote:

> Now I have a different problem. After converting alll the zones to master many
> zones failed to load because of this:
>
> 29-Apr-2014 11:21:32.613 dns_rdata_fromtext: db.0.210.10.in-addr.arpa:26: near 'android_b2b2b8cdeedf92d3.example.com.': bad name (check-names)
>
> Any idea why? Is there a configuration setting to ignore these errors?

Use "check-names warn;". The BIND 9 ARM says:

  check-names

  This option is used to restrict the character set and syntax of certain
  domain names in master files and/or DNS responses received from the
  network. The default varies according to zone type. For master zones the
  default is fail. For slave zones the default is warn. It is not
  implemented for hint zones.

Tony.
Plymouth, North Biscay: Variable 4, becoming southerly or southwesterly 4 or 5
later. Moderate becoming rough in west. Thundery showers. Moderate,
occasionally poor.