SERVFAIL when increasing recursive-clients? (Was: bind-users Digest, Vol 1902, Issue 2

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Aug 1 07:33:17 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 09:56:53AM +0700,
 Xuan Hung <hungnx15 at viettel.com.vn> wrote
 a message of 298 lines which said:

> I think this problem of me, need have version new of Bind.

9.9.5 is quite recent. Actually, it is the latest in 9.9 branch. What
makes you think upgrading would change anything?

> I think resolver of Bind.9.9.5 have problem when response for
> customer.

Please, less "I think" and more actual copy-and-paste of config files,
extracts of logs, output of dig, etc.

> If recusive client of My DNS increase to 4000 then resolver response
> servfail.

Did you check the log (checking the logs is MANDATORY when managing a
daemon) to see if BIND was properly reloaded after you increased
recursive-clients?

Also, what is the amount of memory? The more you increase
recursive-clients, the more memory you need. Check the memory use by
your server.

Otherwise, no idea but could you post the actual query and response,
as seen by dig?