rndc (and now nsupdate too)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Aug 1 09:31:31 UTC 2014

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 31.07.2014 um 21:08 schrieb /dev/rob0:
> >
> > The proper tool to manage zone data is nsupdate(8).  Likewise well
> > suited for automation.
>
> zone file *editing*?
>
> sorry, no, i developed 2008 a interface to create all zone files based
> on database records, write the complete zone content in a main table
> with a textfiled and a second textfiled where translation for NAT/WAN
> zones happens and so there is and never was a reason to *edit* a
> zone file
>
> it is created from scratch when changes in a zone happen and cronjobs
> only pull zones with the "updated-field" set to 1

In our setup, changes made in the database are turned into an nsupdate
script, so we don't need to bounce the name server and we can use
BIND's automatic signing.

Tony.
Sole: Southwest 3 or 4 veering northwest 5 or 6. Slight or moderate, becoming
moderate or rough in west. Rain or showers. Moderate or good.