Metazones or Something Else?

Brian Cuttler brian at wadsworth.org
Tue Aug 5 15:43:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 09:41:14AM -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 09:31:31AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 09:21:07AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> > > rndc addzone sounds like a very interesting tool, but
> > > if you want an automated sync, will require something to
> > > read the source config of the master and then write the
> > > requisit slave zone information for the dns slave server(s).
> > >
> > > Offsite slave servers will require a lot of trust.
> >
> >  - I guess not just trust, but some form of ACL so that remote
> >    managers can add/remove/edit only certain zones. This may be
> >    even a larger security issue than a technical issue.
>
> The slave trusts the master.  The master would have to control the
> access permissions.  Dual-level access control would be hard to
> implement, and not make much sense.

The slave trusts the master, for zone files, but creating
a new zone?

What I was thinking of is not so much the on-site master/slave
pair, I was wondering, and will allow that this may very well
be well outside of the problem scope we are talking about, but
what do you do with a remote secondary DNS that is being run on
your behalf by another institution? That question being asked,
I will also ask that we table it as the trust complexity is much
much larger and likely not was what asked in the first place.

I took the question out of the park, I will agree with you that
for a master/slave pair belonging to a single management entity
that trust and creation of zones need not be overly complex.