Root servers

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 14:42:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:14:09AM -0400, Thomas Schulz wrote:
I wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 02:26:54PM -0500, Bill Christensen wrote:
> > > It looks like my root pointers are horribly out of date.  Seems
> > > to me this is something which should automatically update...
> >
> > Not much, and yes.
> >
> > > ;       This file is made available by InterNIC
> > > ;       under anonymous FTP as
> > > ;           file                /domain/named.root
> > > ;           on server           FTP.INTERNIC.NET
> > > ;       -OR-                    RS.INTERNIC.NET
> > > ;
> > > ;       last update:    Feb 04, 2008
> > > ;       related version of root zone:   2008020400
> >
> > That's old, but not so old as to prevent you from reaching an
> > actual root server.  Of course it was 2 years before the root
> > was signed.
>
> I will add my $0.02. The named executable has the root information
> built in so that it can start up if there is no named.root file
> available. So, if you had no named.root file but did have the
> latest release of Bind then you would have the current data. If you
> do not update Bind the moment that a new version is released then
> you need a current named.root file.

Not really.  There are enough valid servers from 2008020400 to be
able to resolve ./IN/NS now.  In fact I bet you could turn on an
ancient BIND 4 today and still be able to resolve the root.

> Just go get a new one from the
> server listed at the top of the old file.

Sure, that's good advice, which is why I left it in the posted
message.  But probably better advice is to upgrade to a supported
BIND version.  If the OS is so old to be have a 2008020400 hint
file, it probably means no updates have been done along the way.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/