Root servers

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Sat Aug 16 10:21:44 UTC 2014

On 16/08/2014 04:55, Bill Christensen wrote:

> Interesting.  I'm running BIND 9.10.0-P2.  Apparently the package system
> I'm using (MacPorts) isn't updating the root servers file though.
>
> I'll report the problem there.  Meantime, I'll download the recent one
> and see if that makes a difference.

I'd advise packagers to stop shipping a root hints file with BIND. It's
perfectly capable of using its built-in list to do a priming query. The
built-in list is kept up-to-date by ISC, so you'll always have the
latest copy when you update BIND.

I generate pull requests for the BIND port in Homebrew, and I fixed it
some time ago by deleting the root hints file.

Anand