DNS reverse sub delegation NXDOMAIN problem, Class C

Bazy V bzahy8 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 12:12:58 UTC 2014

I am trying to setup a sub reverse delegation to another DNS server., in my
case it is a class C

However I have a class B which have other entries I need to provide

my class B Reverse file - 172.20.rev.txt has below

-----------------------------
$ORIGIN 20.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA.

                   NS     ns1.test.com

43.222          IN PTR  ns1.test.com.
97.201          IN PTR  dev1.test.com.
.
.
.
etc...
----------------

Now I want to send any reverse queries for 220.20.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA to
another dns server

so I set up the following in my reverse file for ns2.sub.test.com domain
-----------------------
$ORIGIN 20.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA.

                   NS     ns1.test.com
0.220/24       NS     ns2.sub.test.com
43.222          IN PTR  ns1.test.com.
97.201          IN PTR  dev1.test.com.
.
.
$ORIGIN 220.20.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
$GENERATE    1-255    $       CNAME   $.220/24

When I do a named-checkzone and out put it , it seems to have written the
right records like

42.220.20.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA.          TTL   IN CNAME
42.220/24.220.20.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA.

and the zone file shows no errors and loads fine.

However when doing a reverse query, it comes back as NXDOMAIN.

Wondering if you could point out what am I doing wrong

Thank you