Possible bug in dig

Tomas Hozza thozza at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 08:36:30 UTC 2014

On 11/28/2014 02:10 PM, Daniel Ryšlink wrote:
> Happened in dig from bind-tools 9.9 and 9.10, both on Linux and FreeBSD.
>
> After issuing the following command, dig ends with a core dump:
>
> dig +trace +topdown +sigchase +trusted-key=./key.txt rhybar.cz mx
>
> Launch a query to find a RRset of type DNSKEY for zone: .
> message.c:2306: REQUIRE(msg->cursors[section] != ((void *)0)) failed, back trace
> #0 0x53b113 in ??
> #1 0x53b0aa in ??
> #2 0x4300ab in ??
> #3 0x411850 in ??
> #4 0x4149bf in ??
> #5 0x555a5f in ??
> #6 0x80179b4a4 in ??
> #7 0x0 in ??
> Abort trap (core dumped)
>
> key.txt is attached

Hi.

You should report the issue to bind9-bugs at isc.org .

AFAIK from my previous bug reports, the sigchase functionality is not considered stable and is not compiled by default. However for example in Fedora, we compile it.

For example running:
# dig @8.8.8.8 +trace +topdown +sigchase rhybar.cz mx\

crashes too with a different backtrace ;)

Regards,
--
Tomas Hozza
Software Engineer - EMEA ENG Developer Experience

PGP: 1D9F3C2D
Red Hat Inc. http://cz.redhat.com