Sudden large increase in process size, machine hang

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Wed Dec 3 18:39:58 UTC 2014

This last week we had a sudden large increase in the size of the named
process resulting in the machine running out of memory and hanging.
This is with bind 9.9.6 on a Solaris 10 Sparc machine.

I have posted in the past about a steady continuous growth in the
size of the named process. The Subjects for those posts are:
failed: out of memory
Process size versus cache size.
bind-9.10.0-P2 memory leak?  (I hijacked someone else's thread)

I have also filed a bug report about this continuous growth.

The following measurements show the steady continuous growth over
a little more than a month.

Thu Oct 16 14:01:42 EDT 2014     46014
Thu Oct 16 14:04:50 EDT 2014     99835
Thu Oct 23 20:06:01 EDT 2014    317071
Thu Oct 30 09:31:31 EST 2014    426647
Thu Nov  6 20:06:01 EST 2014    532291
Thu Nov 13 11:00:46 EST 2014    618143
Thu Nov 20 20:06:00 EST 2014    701472

But then last week the following happened.

Wed Nov 26 08:06:00 EST 2014    758702
Wed Nov 26 20:06:00 EST 2014   2099961
Thu Nov 27 08:06:01 EST 2014   3416580
Thu Nov 27 20:06:00 EST 2014   4618297
Fri Nov 28 08:06:00 EST 2014   5733163
Fri Nov 28 20:06:01 EST 2014   6801203
Sat Nov 29 08:06:52 EST 2014   No output from the ps command.

We were closed for thanksgiving when this happened. The only recursive
queries would have been for email processing by Sendmail. Monday morning
we had to reboot the machine by powering it down and back up.
The logs did not show any unusual messages from the named process.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com