Problem with BIND 9.10.1-P1 recursion limits

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Tue Dec 9 17:37:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 05:17:52PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> Yes, I could reproduce it after flushing my cache. Had to wait five
> minutes before the queries succeeded, which seems unpleasantly long.
> I don't know where that time comes from - the ARM says the default
> servfail-ttl is 10s.

You're running unreleased code, there.  "Servfail-ttl" is a feature slated
for 9.11, but the recursion limits have only been added in the past few
weeks as a patch for the infinite DNS bug, and we're clearly going to have
to modify the SERVFAIL caching feature in light of this new reality.  (We
might arrange for SERVFAILs that occur as a result of recursion limits not
to be cached.)

When I tested this on 9.9, I got the problem with www.ibm.com on the first
query, but it succeeded on the second.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org