Bind Migration best practice steps

John Goubeaux goubeaux at education.ucsb.edu
Tue Dec 16 22:29:53 UTC 2014

Hello Folks,

I'm running a Primary Master Bind Version 9.3.2 on a crusty old
Solaris 9 Sparc box that is starting to act up. Needless to say I
need to move this service onto new Hardware/OS ASAP.

I've got a  9.81 Version up and running on Ubuntu 12.04 ( installed
via the latest pkg available)  but am unclear how to best proceed in
migrating the live zone files to it AND minimize any downtime in the
service.

Should I configure the newer build as a "secondary master or slave"
first, then make it the master after I see that it works/behaves
properly ?

Or should I migrate the configuration and zone files over and bring
down both old and new then change the IP in the new build to the old
NS's IP then bring it up ?

Also, I can see that the Debian version has a slightly different
config file arrangement, but looks like this should NOT be an issue
as long as I migrate the data over appropriately.

Thanks for any insight on how to best proceed here !

-john
--
John Goubeaux
Systems Administrator