Bind Migration best practice steps

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Wed Dec 17 01:34:55 UTC 2014

Thanks for the response, John.  Helps a bunch to know that you just
have the single zone to worry about.  I also did a quick dig on
education.ucsb.edu (NS & SOA records).  Looks like you're not running
any of your own slaves, but are making use of two main university
servers as slaves: ns1.ucsb.edu & ns2.ucsb.edu.

So... copy the zone file directly or set up the 9.8.1 box as a slave?
You've only got one zone, so personal preference would be just to copy
 over your zone file and config; that'd keep you from having to set up
the 9.8.1 server in slave mode at all.  Obviously if you have a ton of
churn in your zones (frequent dynamic updates, for example), that'd
change things.  I suspect you're OK there, though :-).

At that point, just test the 9.8.1 server to make sure it's ready,
give your upstream DNS admins a shout (perhaps have them test zone
transfers against the new server), then schedule the IP swap.
Shouldn't have to take much more downtime than an ifdown on the old
guy and an ifup on the new one (and any ARP stuff on your routers).
You have two slaves that can cover for you during this brief window,
so downtime will be minimal.

John

--
John Miller