Same internal and external zone

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Feb 14 18:02:29 UTC 2014

Sarath <sarath at slashroot.in> wrote:

> The internal xyz.example.com is on an internal host (private address )
> which is the default DNS server for all internal hosts (all hosts use
> this DNS server in their resolve.conf ) And the external xyz.example.com
> is on another public ip server (aws route 53 ).
>
> The problem is i have a hostname for example xyz.xyz.example.com which
> is on the public DNS server..and my local network hosts cannot Resolve
> that hostname which is on the public DNS server (route 53)
>
> I cannot add the record of xyz.xyz.example.com on my local DNS server
> (which is bind )because that host is DNS load balanced using route 53
> health checks..

I would suggest moving xyz.xyz.example.com into a zone of its own which is
only hosted on Route 53. So you would have three zones:

xyz.example.com (private version)
xyz.example.com (public version)
xyz.xyz.example.com (public only)

Both versions of xyz.example.com have identical delegations to
xyz.xyz.example.com. The load balancing records are at the apex of
the xyz.xyz.example.com zone.

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.