whois expiration limit?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Feb 19 21:16:35 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-19 20:44, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> Hi,  I know this is the BIND list but I’m thinking folks who deal with
> DNS probably may be able to answer this question about whois.
>
> We recently transferred and renewed a domain by 2 years which pushed
> its expiration to 01/25/2025. The order confirmation shows that
> expiration and looking at the domain at the Registrar’s web site under
> our account it shows that expiration as well.   However, when running
> whois both here and at the Registrar’s site it shows expiration
> 01/25/2024.  It makes me wonder if there is a 10 year limit in whois
> since 2024 would be within 10 years but 2025 would be outside of it.
>
> I didn’t see anything in RFC 3912 describing whois that even suggests
> a limit for expirations dates.
>
> Not a big deal as I may be dead by then either way – just wondering if
> anyone knows of a reason this would occur.
>
> Please don’t suggest I contact the Registrar.  I already did and they
> seemed as clueless as I am.

http://www.icann.org/en/resources/compliance/faqs#7

"Each registrar has the flexibility to offer initial and renewal
registrations in one-year increments, provided that the maximum
remaining unexpired term shall not exceed ten years."

In reality, they'll probably issue the renewal automagically once you're
under the 9-year mark and the domain is renewal-eligible.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/