cache_dump.db format and meaning

Jittinan Suwanruengsri jittinans at ttt.co.th
Sat Feb 22 10:55:56 UTC 2014

Thank you.

----- Reply message -----
From: "Evan Hunt" <each at isc.org>
To: "Mr.Jittinan Suwanrueangsri" <jittinans at ttt.co.th>
Cc: "bind-users at lists.isc.org" <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: cache_dump.db format and meaning
Date: Fri, Feb 21, 2014 22:51

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 03:47:25PM +0700, Mr.Jittinan Suwanrueangsri wrote:
>     I have dumped cached records from BIND
> 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.17.rc1.el6_4.6 by using  "rndc dumpdb -cache".
> I don't understand the meaning of "; pending-answer" and ";
> pending-additional" in cache_dump.db.What do these mean?

It means "pending validation".  These records have not been subjected to
DNSSEC validation and are therefore considered less trustworthy than if
they had been.  If a validated version of the same information comes along
in the future, then this existing cache data will be discarded in favor of
it.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.