daemon warning

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Jul 1 11:25:59 UTC 2014

Stewart, Larry C Sr CTR DISA JITC (US) <larry.c.stewart.ctr at mail.mil> wrote:

> I have configured the Solaris service admin to run
> 	/nithr/sbin/named -t /dns -u dnsuser
> when I start the dns server now since I have upgraded to 9.10.0-P2 I get
> a daemon notice that it is unable to set the effective uid to 0: Not
> Owner logged in my /var/adm/messages that I never received before.

I think this warning happens either when named tries to write its pid file
or its session key file, which are the only times that I can find when it
would try to set its euid to 0. (When writing those files named
temporarily drops privileges, calling seteuid(0) to raise them again, and
it permanently drops privileges a bit later.)

So my guess is you are not starting named as root?

Tony.
Humber: Northwest backing southwest 3 or 4. Slight, becoming moderate for a
time in northeast. Mainly fair. Good.