test bind before moving to production

brian a001 at yakkadesign.com
Fri Jul 4 02:29:48 UTC 2014

I can't get this to work.  I'm trying to use the test url <tst.com>.
When I open it in my browser, I get a server not found error.

In /etc/resolv.conf I changed
   nameserver 127.0.0.1
I set:
  chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
and rebooted and opened the file to verify that it wasn't getting
overwritten

In /etc/named.conf I added
zone "tst.com" {
     type master;
     file "/var/named/tst.com.zone";
};

I created the file /var/named/tst.com.zone and added:
$TTL 86400
$TTL    604800
@       IN      SOA     ns.example.com. root.example.com. (
                               1         ; Serial
                          604800         ; Refresh
                           86400         ; Retry
                         2419200         ; Expire
                          604800 )       ; Negative Cache TTL
;
@       IN      NS      ns.example.com.
ns      IN      A       127.0.0.1

In /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf I added:
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName tst.com
   DocumentRoot /tmp/public_html_tst01

   <Directory /tmp/public_html_tst01>
    AllowOverride None
    Require all denied
    Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
   </Directory>

   ErrorLog /tmp/apache_logs/error.log
</VirtualHost>

If I run:
named-checkconf /etc/named.conf
I don't get any output

If I run
named-checkzone tst.com /var/named/tst.com.zone
I get:
zone tst.com/IN: loaded serial 1
OK

I checked the apache error log and it is empty.

Brian